Deck and Patio Blog
Deck Privacy Options
January 24, 2018
Decks are great for outdoor gatherings and entertainment, but there are going to be times when you want to relax in your outdoor living space more privately. Check out these tips for making your deck a more private place to spend time!
A Way to Relax in Private
There are many ways you can make your “me time” on your deck just YOU. A few of our favorites are:
- Consider building your deck on an area of your home that already provides some privacy (i.e. A side deck if your neighbor’s backyard is close by and parallel to yours).
- Recycle old shutters to make folding partitions that can be set up around areas of your deck where you prefer the most privacy.
- Plant trees and tall shrubs along the outer edge of your deck. (Hint: Try bamboo, which grows tall and brings an exotic charm to your outdoor living space.)
- Buy a pop-up gazebo for four-walled privacy, or have a pergola-style structure installed when your deck is being built to protect against the sun and keep neighbors from seeing everything that goes on in your backyard.
- Cover surrounding fences with windscreens or wood panels.
- Set up tall planters with trellis to add privacy while creating a more lively and aesthetically pleasing look to your deck.
- Make outdoor curtains out of drop cloths and hang them from curtain rods around the perimeter of your deck. (Hint: This works best for screened-in and covered decks.)
- Retractable shades are great for condos and other closely spaced housing units. Privacy is not permanent and can be utilized when desired.
How to Better Enjoy the Privacy of Your Deck
Whether the privacy you add to your deck is temporary or permanent, it will allow for a more intimate and functional outdoor living space.
If you have or are thinking of getting a hot tub, privacy is relatively important.If your backyard is closely connected to your neighbors, adding fences and curtains to your deck will keep private conversations and activities absent from the awareness of others.
Screening in your deck will not only increase the privacy of your outdoor living space, but it’ll also help keep away bugs and protect you and your guests from unpleasant weather.
Want additional help making your deck more private? Call the professionals at North American Deck and Patio, LLC. We are a Maryland decking contractor that has been serving counties all over the state for over 25 years. Contact us today to learn how we can help you better enjoy your outdoor living space!
Get a FREE
Don't just get an "estimate"... get a professional consultation from the finest designers in the area. Let us show you "the best use of your space," within the budget you have for your project.