Deck and Patio Blog
What is the Difference Between a Porch and a Deck?
September 13, 2017
How you decorate your outdoor living space in a way that makes it both beautiful and functional can sometimes depend on the specifics of your home’s existing exterior. Porches and decks share a few things in common: they provide space for people to enjoy the outdoors, they add value to your home, and they both consist of, at minimum, flooring and railings.
Their differences, however, are more plentiful.
Porch vs. Deck
- Porches commonly sit underneath your main roof’s overhang, while decks are usually more open and uncovered.
- Decks are installed at the back of your home, while porches are usually at the opposite side of the home near the front door.
- Porches are located on the first floor, but decks can be installed anywhere from your above-ground basement level to your top floor.
- Decks can be detached from your house, while porches are installed directly attached to it.
Keeping these differences in mind, let’s check out some design tips for each!
Tips for Designing & Styling Your Porch
- Since porches are intended to be more of an inviting space, decorate it with unique, eye-catching items and furniture that offers comfortable seating.
- Use paint with warm and relaxing hues, since your porch will likely be the first thing your guests see upon arriving at your house.
- If you want to get use out of your porch even during the winter months, you can have walls and windows installed to ensure its use year-round. Closing in this space can also allow you to make your porch functional beyond a simple entryway.
Tips for Designing & Styling Your Deck
- Since decks are intended to be more of a functional space, designate an area for dining. This can include a grill, built-in table & chairs, or a wet bar.
- Add a firepit area where you and your guests can relax, roast marshmallows, and get warm during the cooler months.
- Get some standalone umbrellas, or furniture with small canopies, to create areas of shade for those uncomfortably hot days.
Looking for a professional and reliable Maryland decking building company? North American Deck and Patio LLC is one of the best deck and porch builders in the state! For more information on designing your outdoor living space or to start working with a professional on your new deck or porch project, contact us today!
Get a FREE
Don't just get an "estimate"... get a professional consultation from the finest designers in the area. Let us show you "the best use of your space," within the budget you have for your project.