There are limitations to every season when it comes to starting outdoor construction and renovation projects. How do you know if fall is a good time to install your new deck? Let’s look at the pros and cons of updating your outdoor living space between the months of September and December.
Pros of Installing a Deck in the Fall
- The weather is rather mild, with less rain than in the spring and summer, allowing for more work days and a shorter installation time.
- Thunderstorms are less likely, and the weather is more predictable, which results in a smoother installation timeline.
- Contractors are just coming out of their busy summer season so they will have more availability and can give your project the time and attention it deserves.
- Building your deck in the fall gets you ahead of the spring rush of homeowners looking to begin their outdoor projects when the cold weather dissipates.
- Since more contractors are available, you can compare pricing and pick a contractor who will work with your budget and save you money.
- Cooler air will eliminate the expansion and contraction of the wood that occurs when it is left to dry out in the hot sun, leaving you with a beautiful finished product.
- Pressure-treated wood is easier to work with when low humidity is present.
- Because you spend more time indoors during the fall and winter, your deck project will cause less lifestyle interruptions and won’t keep you from outdoor activities that are enjoyed during the warm summer months.
- You may only get to enjoy your new deck a few times before the harsher cold temperatures and snow arrive.
- Lengthy projects might get delayed by freezing temperatures and snow. Hard, frozen ground is usually more difficult to build upon than the softer, warmer ground.
- The colder months aren’t good for applying deck stain, so if you have plans for a wooden deck, waiting until the spring or summer might be a better option.
- Constant opening and closing of doors leads to higher heating bills.
It’s plain to see that the benefits of beginning your new deck project in the fall greatly outweigh the disadvantages. Ready to get started?
North American Deck and Patio, LLC is a Maryland deck contractor with over 20 years of experience in the industry. We have designed and managed the completion of over a thousand projects and pride ourselves on providing beautiful designs with high-quality materials at competitive prices. Contact us to start planning for your new deck or patio today!