Decks and patios are home additions that can do a lot for your property. They can help make your outdoor living space more versatile, give you more places to relax or entertain guests, and can boost your home’s curb appeal. Here’s how to make the most of your deck and patio and be the envy of the neighborhood with upgraded outdoor living spaces:
- Keep overgrown bushes trimmed so that your deck remains visible. Accent the space with colorful plants and small flowering shrubs.
- Add an outdoor stove or grilling station to add functionality to your patio. Make sure appliances can be stored easily during the winter.
- Soften the appearance of your deck’s floor with a colorful outdoor area rug.
- Add more color with outdoor curtains or drapes, which are also good for shielding a busy street, close neighbors, or harsh sunlight.
- Make sure your deck or patio is just as inviting at night by adding plenty of outdoor lighting. Illuminate pathways with solar garden lights, hang string lights around the inside of an enclosed deck, and make sure steps are lit up so that they are easy to access at night.
- Plan to spend around 10-20% of your home’s value on your outdoor living space. The American Society of Landscape Architects (ASLA) predicts high returns on investment in decks, patios, and landscaping upon resale.
Things to Keep in Mind
– Make sure your deck or patio flows with your home’s landscape and fits with the general feel of your neighborhood so that it doesn’t stick out in an unpleasant way.
– Decks work well with un-level lots, while patios should ideally be constructed on level plots of land.
– Less is more: don’t suffocate your deck or patio with too much furniture or decor. Make sure your outdoor furniture fits the size of your outdoor living space. Add storage options to reduce clutter.
– Decks and patios can be constructed in even the smallest yards. Working with a professional is the best way to make small spaces look bigger and make your outdoor living space more versatile.
Looking for a reliable Baltimore patio contractor? Contact the professionals at North American Deck & Patio today! We offer free estimates to homeowners wanting to upgrade their home’s outdoor living space – just fill out the form on our home page and one of our home improvement experts will contact you to give you more information on our process and to schedule your estimate.