Your deck gets the most use in the warmer months. The end of summer is a great time to address any issues that have accumulated over the hot season. Whether you just want to freshen up for next year with a new stain or top coat, or need to make repairs to increase the safety of your deck, now is the time to get to work!
- Remove debris. Sweep any outdoor debris off of your deck and clean the boards thoroughly.
- Power wash. In addition to power washing your deck in early spring to get it ready for the warm season, it’s also a good idea to power wash at the end of summer to remove all of the dust and dirt that accumulated over the past few months from the floor boards, steps, and railings.
- Fix loose nails. Pry out loose or rusted nails and replace them with screws longer than the original nails you removed.
- Stain and seal. Sealing your deck can protect it from moisture and bug damage. If the color of your deck has faded over the summer, apply a few coats of stain before sealing to brighten it up a bit.
- Replace boards. Check your deck for loose boards, and don’t forget steps and railings! Replace any faulty, split, or warped boards with new ones.
- Note storage options. If you have outdoor deck furniture or appliances, make sure you have a safe place to store them in late fall when the weather gets cold.
- Check for bug damage. Bugs love to make your deck their home during the warmer months. Inspect your deck for significant damage so that you can plan a visit from an exterminator or deck repair company.
- Gather your fall décor. Different seasons call for different outdoor decorations – take your fall décor out of storage or plan a shopping trip for outdoor items for your deck that will complement the colors of fall.
North American Deck & Patio is your best choice when you need a decking contractor in Maryland. We have over 25 years of experience in the industry and have completed over 1,200 projects in the area. We pride ourselves on our beautiful decks, built with state-of-the-art materials and constructed at affordable costs. Contact us today to learn more about the outdoor home improvement services we offer!