The state of Maryland requires that homeowners with residential swimming pools on their property adequately enclose the structure with a fence. Let’s take a look at the specifics of these laws:
General Pool Fencing Requirements in Maryland
- Pool fencing must be at least 48 inches high.
- All pool access gates must be equipped with a self-locking device.
- Pools that are above-ground and greater than four feet high do not require additional pool fencing, as long as the pool is equipped with a detachable ladder.
- If an above-ground pool is under four feet high, a barrier must be installed in order to bring the walls of the pool to an appropriate height.
- It is recommended by the Consumer Product Safety Commission of Maryland that pickets be spaced a maximum of four inches apart.
- Fences with horizontal pieces that are less than 45 inches apart must have horizontal pieces on the pool-side of the fence
Although many Maryland pool fencing requirements are universal, different counties have specific laws in addition to those mentioned above. For example:
- In Montgomery County, your pool fencing must be at least five feet tall. It must be securely anchored into the ground and kept in good condition as long as the pool is present on your property. Gates attached to residential pool fencing must have a latch that is at least four feet from the ground.
- In Anne Arundel County, your pool fencing must be at least four feet high. There can only be a two inch (maximum) gap between the bottom of the fence and the ground. Pickett fences must not have gaps that are larger than four inches wide.
- In Howard County, pool fencing with horizontal, vertical, or diagonal pieces cannot have gaps of more than 1.75 inches between them. Gate openings within 18 inches of the handle or latch must be under one half inch wide.
- In Carroll County, solid barriers surrounding a residential pool area must not have intrusions or indentations. Gates on fencing are required to be both self-closing and self-latching, and must open away from the pool area.
Are You Up To Date on Your Maryland Pool Fencing Requirements?
Want to be sure your pool fencing follows both state and county guidelines? Hire the professionals at North American Deck & Patio, LLC! Our designers and builders are up-to-date on all Maryland pool fencing requirements and are readily available to meet with you for a free consultation for your next outdoor project. Contact us today!