Building a deck can be a significant investment. Researching the process and learning how to incorporate the best deck features into your build is essential to making that investment worth it. Check out these deck designing tips that the experts have agreed upon, and consider each when planning your new deck.
- For wooden decks, choose a solid stain over paint. Solid stain better absorbs into the wood and looks similar to paint while lasting significantly longer.
- Design your deck based on the needs of those who will be using it. Do you have children or pets? Are you building a deck to entertain guests? Will the new addition simply be a quiet place to relax outdoors? Use these questions to understand the functionality you will need for your space.
- Don’t forget to account for lighting if you’re going to use your deck after the sun goes down. Ample light fixtures and step lighting can be very helpful in making your deck safe at night.
- Colorful or patterned rugs not only add some vibrance and personality to your deck, but also help protect bare feet from a sun-scorched deck surface.
- Add a lattice to the side of your deck for added privacy.
- If your backyard is otherwise bare, use your deck to bring life to your exterior: decorate with potted flowers, grow fresh herbs in a raised planter, or set up a small yet tranquil water fountain and you’ll feel closer to nature in no time!
Size & Structure
- Make your deck as large as possible using the space you are given, but ensure that the size complements your home, fits your budget, and allows for your desired functionality.
- There is a 4” rule when it comes to spacing railing pickets, but in order to comply with the International Residential Code (IRC), they should be no further apart than 3 ⅞ “.
- The top rail of all railings should be able to withstand an impact load of 200lbs.
- If you’re not yet ready to commit to a large deck, build a floating or freestanding deck. The latter are unattached to the home so they are easy to build and do not typically require a building permit.
North American Deck & Patio specializes in professional deck design in Maryland and is dedicated to bringing all of your exterior home improvement dreams to life. Contact us today for more information!